On Episode #4 of EdGamer we discuss the games our students are playing outside of our classrooms. Few teachers, or parents for that matter, have a solid idea of the types of games their children are playing. We take some time to look at the different types of games students are playing as well as discuss some informal research we did with our students about their gaming habits.… Read the rest
On the second episode of the Ed Gamer podcast, we take some time to review the ICE (Illinois Computing Educators) we recently attended in St. Charles, IL. A lot of ground has been made in the world of gaming and education, but there is still much to do. During this podcast we examine the difference between virtual learning environments (such as World of Warcraft and SecondLife) and simple outcome games (ie.… Read the rest
- “The Games That We Play”
- There are many games that Gerry and I use in the classroom. We have picked six games that we currently use and we will explain why we use them.
- Zack’s Pick- BBC Interactive Games
- Mummy Maker
- Pyramid Challenge
- Gerry’s Pick- Classic classroom games: The Great Debate
- Involves Role Play
- Students can be forced to see multiple perspectives on one issue
- Includes current events
- Zack’s Pick- Word on the Street by Out of the Box Games
- On each turn, one team flips over a category card.